SUTTON FIRE - JULY 11, 2011
Most of you are aware of the fire in a Dalton Road townhouse complex in Sutton last Monday which left 42 families (approximately 100 people) homeless. Praise God that not one person died or was even hurt and as far as we know, even all the pets escaped unharmed!
Most of the tenants, by now, have been placed in temporary housing provided by York Region but most did not have any insurance and there are some immediate needs that you can help with:
- monetary donations Cheques should be payable to “The Salvation Army” and marked for Fire Relief. (tax receipts will be available) As of last Fri., over $20,000 in money & gift cards has been donated by community members – amazing!
- gift cards from pharmacies so people can get, among other necessities, their medication gift cards from local businesses e.g. hardware, department stores
- gift cards from local grocery stores
Volunteers are needed:
- to help sort donations at the old Sutton PS on Dalton Rd., 12 pm – 4 pm, this week, Mon. – Fri. No need to call, just show up!
- to help with some office work. Call Pastor Grant 905-722-9076
For more information you can contact the following organizations:
- about fundraising events, the Town of Georgina, Mayor’s office 905-476-4301
- about donations, The Salvation Army, 905-722-9076
- starting Monday July 18th the Red Cross and York Region Social Services will have offices in the old Sutton P.S. on Dalton Rd. and you can inquire there about relatives who might have been in the fire or about medication
Pastor Grant, as a chaplain with the Salvation Army Youth Centre, is deeply involved in the relief efforts and this update is provided by him.